- 2 Tbsp Zeytin Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 /2 Sweet Onion, Finely Diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Finely Diced
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 5 Tbsp Crushed Tomatoes with Liquid
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- 3-4 Medium-Sized Italian Eggplants or 1 American Eggplant
- 1 Cup Zeytin Extra Virgin Olive Oil for frying, more or less depending on eggplants
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1.5 Cups Milk, Warm
- Salt and White Pepper
- Handful of Parsley Leaves (10-15 Leaves)
- 1 Tbsp Zeytin Extra Virgin Olive Oil to grease the 9x9 baking dish
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese or Turkish kasar cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
Start with the Eggplant Layer
- Slice all the eggplants lengthwise into 1/2 inch rounds. Sprinkle salt on top and set aside for 10 minutes to draw out moisture. Wipe the water off with paper towels.
- Heat 1 Cup Zeytin Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a large frying pan and quickly fry the eggplants until they are lightly browned and soft. Lay the eggplants on dry paper towels to remove excess oil.
Cook the Meat Mixture
- Heat 2 tbsp Zeytin Extra Virgin Olive Oil on a medium-sized pan. Sauté onions and garlic on medium heat until they are translucent, then add ground beef and sauté for another 5 minutes. Sprinkle salt and pepper and add in the crushed tomatoes. Sauté for another 5 minutes.
Make the Béchamel Sauce
- Heat butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour until smooth.
- Gradually pour in warm milk, 1/4-1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly until it thickens and you see no lumps.
Now Assemble Together!
- Grease a 9x9 baking dish with Zeytin Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add a few spoons of the meat mixture on the bottom of the dish so you can barely see the pan.
- Arrange a layer of eggplants on top. Cover the eggplants with half of the meat mixture.
- Spread all of the béchamel sauce on top of the meat evenly. Sprinkle cheese on top along with the parsley leaves.
- Add another layer of eggplants. Top with the remaining meat mixture.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, lower the temperature to 375 degrees, remove the foil from the dish and bake for another 15 minutes uncovered.
- Remove from oven and let the moussaka cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Enjoy with a bowl of rice on the side!